Title: Civitas Francofordiana ad Moe.
- Author: Braun & Hogenberg
- Date: 1572
- Medium: Hand-colored copperplate engraving
- Condition: Very Good - age toning, light foxing, issued center fold
- Inches: 18 7/8 x 13 1/8 [Image]
- Centimeters: 48.40 x 33.65 [Image]
- Product ID: 001718
Civitas Francofordiana ad Moenibus [City of Frankfurt to the Walls]
View of the city of Frankfurt, Germany from Civitates Orbis Terrarum, 1572-1622, a collective work engraved by Hogenberg and edited by Braun which contained 542 birds-eye views of cities around the world. Shows the city as a center of commerce on the banks of the Main River with ships coming and going, and labels major sites and streets within the city. Rolling green fields outside of the city walls demonstrate the region's agricultural abundance. In the foreground, a noble lord and lady engage in conversation, while another woman carries a basket of fruit towards the city. To the lower right, a cartouche describes the character and history of Frankfurt and its people.