- Title: Carte de l'Isle de la Barbade
- Author: Jacques-Nicolas Bellin
- Date: 1758
- Medium: Copperplate engraving
- Condition: Very Good - age toning, trimmed left margin, light foxing, rough right edge from old binding
- Inches: 7 3/4 x 10 [Paper]
- Centimeters: 19.69 x 25.4 [Paper]
- Product ID: 313003
Carte de de l'Isle de la Barbade, Pour servir à l'Histoire Générale des Voyages. Echelle de deux Lieues communes.
"Map of the Isle of Barbados, for use in the General History of Travel. Scale of two common leagues."
Map of the Island of Barbados in the Caribbean by French hydrographer and geographer Jacques-Nicolas Bellin (1703-1772), who produced a prodigious body of work over a nearly fifty-year career. Appointed hydrographer of the French Navy at the age of eighteen, he eventually became Hydrographer to the King in 1741. He published numerous sea atlases and charts which would be reprinted into the nineteenth century, as well as many maps depicting French colonial territories in the New World. His craftsmanship and commitment to accuracy earned him a distinguished reputation as one of the world's leading cartographers, and many other European mapmakers turned to him for source material.