- Title: Carte de l'Isle de Ceylan
- Author: Jacques-Nicolas Bellin
- Date: 1750
- Medium: Copperplate engraving
- Condition: Very Good Plus - light foxing and surface dirt, trifolds running both horizontally and vertically
- Inches: 11 7/8 x 11 7/8 [Paper]
- Centimeters: 30.16 x 30.16 [Paper]
- Product ID: 102144
Carte de l'Isle de Ceylan. Pour Servir à l'Histoire Générale des Voyages. Par M Bellin Ingr. ordre. de la Marine. Echelle Lieues Marines de France.
"Map of the Island of Ceylon. To be used in the General History of Travel. By M. Bellin Naval Engineer ordinaire. Scale of Nautical Leagues of France."
Map of Sri Lanka by French hydrographer and geographer Jacques-Nicolas Bellin (1703-1772), who produced a prodigious body of work over a nearly fifty-year career. Longitude west from the Ferro Meridian.
Appointed hydrographer of the French Navy at the age of eighteen, Bellin eventually became Hydrographer to the King in 1741. He published numerous sea atlases and charts which would be reprinted into the nineteenth century, as well as many maps depicting French colonial territories in the New World. His craftsmanship and commitment to accuracy earned him a distinguished reputation as one of the world's leading cartographers, and many other European mapmakers turned to him for source material.