- Title: Carte des Royaumes de Congo, Angola, et Benguela
- Author: Jacques-Nicolas Bellin
- Date: c. 1760
- Medium: Copperplate engraving
- Condition: Very Good Plus - light age toning, issued center fold, horizontal trifolds
- Inches: 13 1/2 x 10 7/8 [Paper]
- Centimeters: 34.29 x 27.62 [Paper]
- Product ID: 102165
Carte des Royaumes de Congo, Angola, et Benguela. Avec les Pays Voisins. Tirée de l'Anglois
"Map of the Kingdoms of Congo, Angola, and Benguela. With Neighboring Countries. Drawn from the English."
Map of the southeast coast of Africa showing parts of present-day Gabon, Angola, Republic of the Congo, Zambia, and Democratic Republic of the Congo. Published by French hydrographer and geographer Jacques-Nicolas Bellin (1703-1772), who produced a prodigious body of work over a nearly fifty-year career. Longitude from the Ferro Meridian.
Appointed hydrographer of the French Navy at the age of eighteen, Bellin eventually became Hydrographer to the King in 1741. He published numerous sea atlases and charts which would be reprinted into the nineteenth century, as well as many maps depicting French colonial territories in the New World. His craftsmanship and commitment to accuracy earned him a distinguished reputation as one of the world's leading cartographers, and many other European mapmakers turned to him for source material.