- Title: Le Pays des Hottentots aux Environs du Cap de Bonne Espérance
- Author: Jacques-Nicolas Bellin
- Date: 1780
- Medium: Copperplate engraving
- Condition: Very Good Plus - light age toning, left and bottom margins trimmed, vertical and horizontal folding lines, minor tide marks in upper left corner
- Inches: 15 3/8 x 11 1/4 [Paper]
- Centimeters: 39.05 x 28.58 [Paper]
- Product ID: 317049
Le Pays des Hottentots aux Environs du Cap de Bonne Espérance. Cette Carte est dressée sur celles de Kolbe et sur quelques Manuscrits du Depost des Plans de la Marine. Par N. Bellin Ingr. de la Marine.
"The Land of the Hottentots near the Cape of Good Hope. This Map is drawn up on those of Kolbe and on some manuscripts of the depost of the plans of the Navy. By N. Bellin Engineer of the Navy."
Map of South Africa and the Cape of Good Hope by French hydrographer and geographer Jacques-Nicolas Bellin (1703-1772). Published as part of Antoine François Prévost d'Exiles influential travel book, L'Histoire Generale des Voyages. Bellin produced a prodigious body of work over a nearly fifty-year career. Appointed hydrographer of the French Navy at the age of eighteen, he eventually became Hydrographer to the King in 1741. He published numerous sea atlases and charts which would be reprinted into the nineteenth century, as well as many maps depicting French colonial territories in the New World. His craftsmanship and commitment to accuracy earned him a distinguished reputation as one of the world's leading cartographers, and many other European mapmakers turned to him for source material.