- Title: Mappa Fluxus et Refluxus rationes in Isthmo America
- Author: Athanasius Kircher
- Date: 1665
- Medium: Copperplate engraving
- Condition: Very Good - age toning, foxing, issued center fold
- Inches: 17 1/2 x 14 1/2 [Paper]
- Centimeters: 44.45 x 36.83 [Paper]
- Product ID: 100662
Mappa Fluxus et Refluxus rationes in Isthmo America: no, in Freto Magellanico, caeteris: que Americae Littoribus exhibens.
Map of North and South America by Athanasius Kircher detailing his interpretations of the currents of the surrounding oceans. Labeled regions include California, Panama, Mexico, Cuba, the island of Hispaniola, and 'Paraquay.' Map also details how various inland bodies of water, such as lakes surrounding Mexico City, flow out into the oceans.
Athanasius Kircher (1602-1680) was a celebrated Jesuit Scholar and one of the first compilers of semi-scientific knowledge about the physical features of the Earth. His interpretations were based on personal observations and beliefs about how the world's geological systems worked. He suggested the tides and currents of the ocean flowed through subterranean tunnels, and that mountains represented the exposed skeletal structure of the Earth.