- Title: Mappa Geographica complectens Indiae Occidentalis
- Author: Homann Heirs
- Date: 1740
- Medium: Hand-colored copperplate engraving
- Condition: Very Good - age toning, minor scuffing, some loss of image and text in upper left, moderate creasing extending inward from left and right margins and across center of image, coloring is bright and clean
- Inches: 19 1/2 x 23 1/8 [Plate Mark]
- Centimeters: 49.53 x 58.74 [Plate Mark]
- Product ID: 233021
Mappa Geographica, complectens
I. Indiae Occidentalis partem mediam circum Isthmum Panamensem
II. Ipsumque Isthmum.
III. Ichnographiam praecipuorum locorum & portuum ad has terras pertinentium. Desumta omnia ex Historia Insulae S. Dominici & pro praesenti statu belli, quod est 1740 inter Anglos & Hispanos exortum, luci publicae tradita ab Homannianis Heredibus.
"Geographic maps, comprising
I. The West Indies near the Isthmus of Panama
II. That isthmus.
III. Ichnography of the main ports and passages pertaining to these lands.
All taken from the History of the Island of Santo Domingo & from the present state of war, which in 1740 has sprung up between the English and Spanish, brought to the public light by the Homann Heirs."
Map of the West Indies with inset maps and views of the region:
- Upper Register:
- Left: Map of Panama indicating cities, towns, military encampments, and topographic features of the isthmus.
- Right: Delineatio munimenti et Portus S. Augustini (Plan of St. Augustine on the coast of Spanish Florida). Legend designating various buildings and sites in the region.
- Middle Register:
- Carte des Isles de l'Amerique et Deplusieurs Pays de Terre Firme ("Map of the American islands and several mainland countries"). Includes parts of the United States (Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina), eastern Mexico, Venezuela, and Colombia. Other mainland regions pictured include the Yucatan, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama. Islands depicted: Cuba, Jamaica, the Bahamas, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and the Antilles (numbered legend on right indicating names of the Antillean Islands).
- Lower Register:
- Left: Delineatio Portus Mexicani Vera Cruz (Plan of the Mexican port of Vera Cruz "taken from Histoire de S. Domingue pg. 505 Book XII"). Contains numbered legend labeling various structures and buildings.
- Center: Urbs capitalis Regni Mexicani dicta Mexico ("The capital city of Mexico called Mexico" - view of Mexico City)
- Right: Ichnographia Urbis San-Domingo (Plan of the city of Santo Domingo "taken from the Histoire de S. Domingue pg. 223").