- Author: Jansson
- Date: 1639
- Medium: Hand-Colored Copperplate Engraving
- Condition: Very Good
- Inches: 21 x 16 1/4 [Image]
- Centimeters: 53.34 x 41.2 [Image]
- Product ID: 222004
Full Title: NOVA ANGLIA NOVUM BELGIUM ET VIRGINIA
This influential map is derived from the less well circulated Johanes de Laet of 1630. Enlarged, and expanded to the north and east slightly, it carries de Laet's narrative on the reverse. De Laet's map is one of extreme importance, being the first printed to use the names Manbattes (Manhattan) and N. Amsterdam. The nomenclature is also virtually identical, with the few minor differences most likely owing to engraver's error. C. of Feare is still depicted over 2 degrees too far south. This is not the Cape Fear we know of today but actually Cape Lookout.
During the fiercely competitive decade of the 1630's the families of Blaeu and Hondius - Janssonius often produced maps drawn directly from one another. Here, however, Janssonius produced one that was not followed by Blaeu, the latter relying upon the more restricted map of NOVA BELGICA to represent the land north of Chesapeake Bay. A sign of the Dutch influence here is that both atlas producers largely declined to include the advanced cartography of Champlain, thereby relegating it altogether. Here Janssonius differs from Hondius' AMERICA SEPTENTRIONALIS in his delineation of the Great Lakes area. The extension northwards enables him to encapsulate Grand Lac, something de Laet did not do. Although Karpinski claims this to be the first maps to show a complete Lake Superior, there is no evidence to suggest that this lake was meant, it more likely represents Lake Huron,
There are three known states of the map. In 1647 Janssonius alters the title to match that of Blaeu, to give greater prominence to the Dutch colonies. He also draws on Blaeu for the design of the cartouche, the Indian village scene and much of the wildlife depicted. The nomenclature is unchanged. A third state appeared following the auction of the copperplates in 1694, acquired by Petrus Schenk from the heirs of Jansson van Waesberge. The former began issuing the map with his own imprint and no text on the reverse.