Quality Guaranteed | 100% Authentic Antique Maps | Museum Quality Custom Framing

Progress Map of Texas: Dumble, 1889

Regular price
Sale price
Regular price
Unit price
Shipping calculated at checkout.

  • Title: Geological Survey of Texas - Progress Map
  • Author: Edwin T. Dumble
  • Date: 1889
  • Condition: See description
  • Inches: 23 1/4 x 22 3/4 [Image]
  • Centimeters: 59.05 x 57.78 [Image]
  • Product ID: 308256

Extremely Scarce Map from the Third Geological Survey of Texas

This map was published in the FIRST ANNUAL REPORT OF THE GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF TEXAS, printed in Austin Texas in 1890.  The report was a thorough examination of the third geological survey conducted in the state of Texas, under the direction of Edwin T. Dumble. The map covers all of Texas and Indian Territory, along with portions of New Mexico, Arkansas and Louisiana. The map presents a very early and mostly unarticulated examination of the various mineral districts, coal fields and measures, various beds, and the extent of the surveying, highlighting more of what was unknown than that which had been discovered.  Only the Cretaceous, Trans Pecos and Central Mineral districts had any type of focused study, leaving almost all of the state’s vast resources a mystery.  The underlying base map provides additional details including the river systems, railroads, and county delineations.

Texas' first geological survey, the Geological and Agricultural Survey of Texas, was conducted from 1858-67 and the second ran from 1870-73. Both were abruptly discontinued due to political reasons. The third survey worked under the newly named Geological and Mineralogical Survey and lasted for eleven years (later resumed by the University of Texas). Its primary purpose was to "search for ores, minerals, oils, coals, clays, and other materials possessing a commercial value."

From the TSHA Handbook:

The Bureau of Economic Geology, the oldest and one of the largest research units at the University of Texas at Austin, has filled the role of state geological survey since 1909. Before 1909 the Texas legislature established and funded state geological surveys, beginning in 1858 with the Geological and Agricultural Survey of Texas. The first survey was sustained by annual appropriations and was independent of any other institution. Benjamin Franklin Shumard was named state geologist. After four years, the legislature suspended the survey until the end of the Civil War. It was reestablished in 1866 and continued for one more year. In 1870 the legislature formed the second geological survey, with John W. Glenn as state geologist. Like the first, the second survey was surrounded by political turmoil. It finally began work in 1873 and survived only three years.

The third survey of the nineteenth century, the Geological and Mineralogical Survey, was established in 1888 by the Twentieth Legislature as part of the Commission of Agriculture, Insurance, Statistics, and History. It received state appropriations for six years and continued without funding for an additional five

years before it officially ended in 1901. Under the direction of Edwin T. Dumble, the third survey produced the scientific work that laid the foundation of Texas geological research. The annual reports of the survey contained studies of the regional geology of the state as well as special papers on mineral resources, including lignite, which was one of the most important commodities of the time (see COAL AND LIGNITE MINING). Despite its accomplishments, the survey was the subject of a fight in the Twenty-third Legislature and was denied funding by Governor James S. Hogg in 1893. When funding was reconsidered in 1895, Governor Charles A. Culberson also vetoed the budget. During the disputes over the survey, the legislature transferred the library, records, and collections of the survey to the University of Texas.

In 1901, when it established the University of Texas Mineral Survey, the Twenty-seventh Legislature began to shift responsibility for the survey to the university. The mineral survey was directed by William Battle Phillips and reported to the UT board of regents. Its specific mission was to survey public school and university lands and assess their mineral value. In its four years of existence, the survey studied mineral districts, commodities, and state mining laws and produced eight publications and maps.

The transfer of the geological survey to the university became complete in 1909, when the UT regents founded the Bureau of Economic Geology. The board recognized the usefulness of the mineral survey to the state and its practical role in providing scientific information to the public through the university. Phillips became the bureau's first director, a position he held from 1909 to 1915. In 1911 the organization was renamed Bureau of Economic Geology and Technology. A reorganization in 1915 established separate heads for a Division of Economic Geology, a Division of Engineering, and a Division of Chemistry. In 1925 these divisions became independent, together called the Division of Natural Resources.


Issued folding on a bright sheet with archival repairs to a couple of tiny fold separations and an edge tear in the bottom right margin.  Superb.


Texas State Historical Association, Handbook online.  Accessed 5-3-2024