- Title: The East View of Tong Castle, in the County of Salop
- Author: Samuel and Nathaniel Buck
- Date: 1731
- Medium: Copperplate engraving
- Condition: Very Good Plus - age toning, light foxing
- Inches: 14 3/4 x 7 3/4 [Platemark]
- Centimeters: 37.47 x 19.69 [Platemark]
- Product ID: 233250
To the most Noble Evelyn Duke, & Earl, of Kingston Marquess of Dorchester, Viscount Newark, & Baron Pierpoint, of Holme Pierpoint in the County of Nottingham. Owner of the Castle. This Prospect is Humbly Inscribd by, May it Please Yr. Grace Yr. Graces most Dutyful & Obedient Servts. Saml. & Nathl. Buck.
Tong Tuang or Toang was in the Saxons times in the Family of Morcar Earls of Northumberland: but soon after the Conquest it was given by ye. Conqueror from them with their other Estates. In process of time we find it in ye. Hands of ye. Louches of Ashby: afterwards the Badlesmeres had it: but it passed for want of Male Issue by Marriage to the Veres Earls of Oxford: from them to the Vernons: who repaird ye. Castle. After them it came to the Harris's: & by Marriage of a Daughter to Wm. Pierpoint second Son of the first Earl of Kingston it came into that Noble Family & ye. present Duke of Kingston is now Lord thereof. S. & N. Buck Delin. et Sculp. 1731.